Saturday, September 25, 2010

Old Farm Equipment

Can you tell what this machine was used for? top two photos.

Does anyone know what the pieces of pipe in the black circle is?

I saw both at the Sodbusters museum.

I had breakfast with the firefighters this morning and had new tires installed on the 07 car in the afternoon.


  1. The pipe is a Hydraulic ram,
    A hydraulic ram, or hydram, is a cyclic water pump powered by hydropower. It functions as a hydraulic transformer that takes in water at one "hydraulic head" (pressure) and flow-rate, and outputs water at a higher hydraulic-head and lower flow-rate. The device utilizes the water hammer effect to develop pressure that allows a portion of the input water that powers the pump to be lifted to a point higher than where the water originally started. The hydraulic ram is sometimes used in remote areas, where there is both a source of low-head hydropower, and a need for pumping water to a destination higher in elevation than the source. In this situation, the ram is often useful, since it requires no outside source of power other than the kinetic energy of water.

  2. The planter would be used for planting potatoes, not sure how many acres you could do in a day.